Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Let's Talk Books

When I was in second grade, I grabbed "War of the Worlds," off the shelf and took it to the checkout desk, where the school librarian said, "You can't check this out. It's too advanced for you."

Well, the next time my teacher handed out pamphlets for mail order books, I got my parents to buy it for me and by golly read the darn thing. Loved it.

I learned to read before I started school. My parents let me sit in their laps as they read the local newspaper. I would point at pictures and ask who was in them. I would point at words and ask what they said. It should have all been very annoying for them, but they were patient, and as time went by, I began to be able to read some of the words.

Most likely if you are reading a blog on writing you love to read. I'm going to share a few of my favorite books. But, I'm tired of doing all the writing. If you would, please, share with me a favorite book or two of yours and why you love it. Here are some of mine, in no particular order.

"A Confederacy of Dunces," by John Kennedy Toole
I laughed out loud when I read this comedy set in New Orleans. If you don't read the book, at least read the foreword by Walker Percy, who tells the fascinating story of how this book came to be published.

"No Country For Old Men," and "The Road," by Cormac McCarthy
I finally checked out the first title at the library after a friend said something I wrote reminded him of McCarthy's work. Believe me, now I see that as a huge compliment. This guy's imagination, vivid description and way with dialogue is amazing. Can't stop now until I read all the rest of this work.

"Devil In the White City," by Erik Larson
Larson is a genius for even thinking of this non-fiction book and the way he wrote it makes it one of my top five all-time favorites. The book is made up of alternating chapters on a monstrous serial killer and then a brilliant architect in charge of building the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," by John Berendt
True crime that reads like a masterful piece of fiction. Great research and writing. I've read this book about five times and writing about it now gives me the itch to do it again.

"Ava's Man," by Rick Bragg
Bragg brings a grandfather he's never met to vivid life through the recollections of those who knew him. Great story well told.

Okay, your turn. Please share what books you can't put down once you've opened them. That way the rest of us can discover them as well. Thanking you in advance.

Next: Um, uh, hmmm. Overcoming Writer's Block

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of the books you mention I love. “Devil in the White City” is one of them, as well as “No Country for Old Men” and “The Road.” You mentioning “A Confederacy of Dunces” makes me want to read it again. My absolute favorite book? “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay” by Michael Chabon. It’s historical fiction about the comic book undistry from the 1930s to the 1950s. It won a Pulitzer. Even if you don’t read comics, it’s still fascinating and so well written. Also, Dave Eggers’ “A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius” is a great one and very creatively done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second Charlie's mention of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." Two other recent favorites are "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen and "The Brothers K" by David James Duncan.

    You should also check out "Cathedral" by Raymond Carver. It's an amazing collection of short stories. He's a master at portraying small, meaningful moments and saying something by leaving things unsaid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'll second The Brothers K, which is far and away my favorite book. A classic, epic story of family. It captures my belief that, when well written, no story is greater than the stories that exist in our lives every day.

    To the list I'll add Til We Have Faces by CS Lewis. A retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche. But don't let that turn you off. It asks the fundamental question of how we can face the world (and for those among us who are religious, our creator) before we know who we truly are. Also relates to Mofo from U2's album Pop, which is wildly underrated. But that's for a different blog.

    Also East of Eden (for the same reasons as The Brother's K. When told well, stories about our lives are unbeatable. And the House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. Magical realism at it's best.

    I could go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, if you've ever heard Gary laugh out loud you know that is all the recommendation that Confederacy of Dunces needs.

    ReplyDelete