Saturday, April 7, 2012

Why we're here

I'm not a great writer, but I've read them and worked with them. Over a half century of life and a quarter century of work, I've learned a few things about writing and how to do it well.

Just as we learn to talk by listening to people speak, we learn to write by reading. So it follows that if you want to be a great writer, read great writers. When giving this advice, I don't mean read them to steal their ideas or their words. But, you will see what tools they use that make their writing great, and that helps you add to your own writing tool box.

In this blog I'll introduce you to some great writers and share what I've learned over the years. We'll discuss different forms of writing. But, mostly I'll reveal what I believe to be truths that can make all forms of writing better.

Maybe the first should be what's behind the name of this blog. Save the Syllables refers to simplicity and common ground. The best writing is clear. It is accessible to everyone. The best way to accomplish clarity is through simple words that are familiar to everyone. Simple, familiar words are usually the shorter ones, hence the name of this blog.

Next: "A courtesy to the reader" (coming April 9, 8 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment